Friday, November 15, 2013

Pinterest Made Me Do It: Grocery Stores

Food. Anyone who follows me on Instagram or is my Facebook friend knows how I've taken a very keen liking to cooking ever since I crossed the pond, partially due to the mass amounts of free time throughout my daily schedule but mostly blamed to my other new obsession: Pinterest. For those of you who are unaware of Pinterest, think of it as an organize Tumblr. The site is split into different categories ranging from Food and Drink to Travel and Humor. Once under a category, people are able to "Pin" various images and recipes to organized boards of your choice. Some of my boards include: Healthy Eating, Cheers to the freaking weekend (fun adult beverages), Wine + Dine, and a board dedicated to my Type A life: Organization. All of these pins take Pinners to the original source of the image that may provide a recipe in detail or access to purchase a pinned clothing item. It's basically the most amazing website created for someone like me with ranging interests and tons of free time. Anyway, Pinterest has provided me with hundreds of recipes that have had me contemplating opening up my own restaurant. They are brilliant! And in case wondering, yes, the majority of the yummy creations I've posted on my blog are Pinterest inspired. Though it may seem I am on my road to becoming a happy little housewife in training, grocery shopping in Europe initially made me want to give up any all effort of becoming Susie Homemaker. As my recipe book expands and I'm forced to locate ingredients easily found in any Kroger or Publix in America but damn near impossible to dig out in Finland. I have certainly taken my familiar grocery experience with numerous aisle and vast variety of brands and products to chose from for granted. 

Seeing how Europe is the only foreign country I've lived in, I can only speak from my current experience. Finland has two major supermarket chains: (1) S or K Citymarket and (2) Lidl. Both are fairly similar as far as products carried; however Lidl is comparable to Marc's or Food City. Prisma's are another type of supermarket that is just like our Walmart's and Target's, they have EVERYTHING…including liquor stores, which can also be found in local S or K Citymarket's. Having been living in Finland for three months now -- wow -- I can truly say I've mastered the supermarket. My first trip took me FOREVER. Not only due to the novelty of the store itself and the language difference, they have a weighing different system as well. For those of you who haven't been to Finland, which I'm assuming is basically everyone reading this blog; they use a personal weighing system for produce. As I mentioned before, this may be the same for other European countries but I have yet to have to pleasure of exploring. Anyway, if the produce is not packaged and tagged, it is assigned a number typically above or below where it's located. Below are some pictures I took of how this process works.

1. Locate desired produce. In this photo I wanted some kiwis. Notice the large number associated with it.


2. Take your bagged goodies to a weighing station, typically located at the end of aisles. There are many of these throughout the produce section. At the weighing station, place your bag on the scale and select the corresponding number.

3. A ticket will be dispensed with a bar code and price. Place on bag.



At first I was completely lost at the process and even now I always forget to tag my bananas but it makes grocery-shopping fun! I'm able to select how much I want of each product and exercise my memory; it also makes it easier on the cashiers at checkout. Checkout is also different in Europe; it's self-sufficient. You load your own groceries to the belt, you are responsible for putting the divider after all of your groceries have been placed on the belt to be scanned -- not doing so will earn you a few snarky looks -- and you are required to bag you own groceries in a bag that can be added to your total or one that you bring. There are no bags waiting to be used for free at your leisure. Given my environmental background, I found this feature to be absolutely awesome in efforts to cut down grocery waste bag waste (a.k.a. all those bags you have under your sink that have no use except to hold holiday leftovers) and promoting eco-friendly behavior. 

ECO-ALERT: Another great environmental friendly feature they have is in-store recycling. It's convenient and gives good Samaritans a monetary reward for keeping track of and bringing in can and bottles. All you have to do is bring recyclables to a machine like the one pictured below that can be found in the entrance of the store and the machine will calculate how much your trash is worth. Press the green button and you receive a recipe that can be used toward your grocery store purchase or turned into cash monaaaayyyy!!

Enough about how to navigate and survive a Finnish grocery store, let me quickly touch upon food. After a few trips to the store a few things became very apparent; Fins love cheese, meat, yogurt, and butter. There are SO MANY types of each it can be overwhelming, especially when it comes to yogurt that has an entire back wall dedicated to various brands, types, and flavors. I've tried many different types of yogurt and have finally settled in with an organic brand -- shocker -- in blueberry or strawberry flavor. Yogurt comes in traditional self-serving sizes or small milk carton-like containers. As mentioned earlier, Pintrest has owned my cooking interests ever since I set foot on European soil and many of these recipes call for ingredients I normally wouldn't even know how to locate in an American store. Now that I am a veteran grocery shopper, I always make sure I organize my grocery list by food location and translate any spices or foods I haven't previously bought to save on time and me idling standing in the wrong aisle for 5 minutes trying to act like I know what I'm looking for when I really don't (it's happened to me at least 3 times already). So far I've found everything pretty easily, with the exception of pumpkin puree. It basically doesn't exist in Finland, which brings my back full circle to my recent obsession with sweet potatoes and all the Pinterest recipes I've subbed them in for instead of pumpkin.

Has Pinterest brainwashed me? Absolutely and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It’s a GENIUS concept. Now that I've successfully subliminally pumped Pinterest into your mind, feel free to go create a FREE account and have your world turned upside-down and inside out.

Happy Pinning :)

http://www.pinterest.com

Live your passion :: Love on purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment