Thursday, August 15, 2013

Since my return from Kangasala, three and half weeks have sprinted by. Upon my trek back to America, I was seated next to a traveler my age. A young man who had obtained a job traveling across the world leading tours for the rich and being disconnected from any forms of social media or technological contacts for weeks at a time...or as young people in today's time would describe as the epitome of hell. I too would have thought that way prior to my European travel but something about being lost in an unknown world captivates your soul and makes you resent the great creators of Twitter and Vine or even the iPhone for that matter for distracting you from your surroundings. That is until your lost on foreign street, in a foreign country looking for a bar you came upon while receiving an authentic bike tour from a man who could navigate the streets in his sleep alone, without your guide at 10 pm at night....then you remember that it's 2013 and we all LOVE of technology products! Nevertheless my trip to Helsinki was memorable.


Upon my arrival back to the U.S. I had the opportunity to reconnect with a former teammate from a High Performance team I competed with when I was 14 or 15. Crazy how God can put you at the perfect place and the right time to cross paths with your past. She is now a new mother and has a charming husband and baby boy. Her family is still as welcoming and loving as I remember, it's as though time had stood still. We were able to catch up and relive the days of our "youth" before bills and babies. The volleyball community truly builds that, a community of families that share ups and downs for a brief moment in time but relationships that have the ability to last a life time.

My last week in Tennessee was awesome. I finally got to experience what it meant to be on the coaching side with no 6 am workouts or classes, even got to see my coach at the bar [awkwaaaarrdd]. Many new friendships were made and plans set in motion for the following summer. The rest of the week consisted of food, laughs, and quick goodbyes. Knoxville has certainly become my second home.

Cleveland was my next stop on my farewell tour. I was home for a short period of time before heading to Chicago for Lollapalooza. During that time however I was able to see my older sister in her true light. Akron is her stomping grounds and hers to claim alone. Her ability to memorize the young men around her always made me laugh. She's seriously like a fairy, light glowing all around her. But don't be fooled, call her out for her individuality and you will feel her wrath, no matter who you are...as two certain Akron favorites soon learned lol. I was able to see her carefree and music driven soul during our trip to Grant Park. Lollapalooza. I will not be summing any of the up here. Simply put, it was magical. The power of music is much larger than people realize. It's the voice for those who are too afraid to speak and the out for those who need an escape. Nothing beats the feeling of thousands of people moving in a mobbed crowd as one or an artist stoping his performance to acknowledge a disabled man being carried by the crowd in his wheel chair for a front row seat. It's a feeling I've never experienced before. Late night dancing, early morning laughter, making new friendships, running into old faces, and creating more memories with those you love. That's Lollapalooza. Needless to say I will be returning for 2014.


After Lollapalooza, the fun continued. My sister and I attended the John Mayer concert at home and bonded over numerous conclusions we made about our family. Basically we're all crazy, but what family isn't? A day of rest was called after the first week of celebrating summers end. That Thursday I had the opportunity to watch a very close friend of mine pursue his dream as a  rookie with the Cleveland Browns. Being able to observe his dreams come true with my best friend right beside me stirred feelings of déjà vu, taking me back to high school football games and brisk nights. Having a moment to enjoy a night with old friends, family and good music to celebrate the success we all have made thus far in our lives goes down as one of the best nights I have had this summer. The following night fell right in line with the previous, reconnecting with high school classmates but not forgetting our youth as we all played a silly game of charades at bar. It's is in those two instances that I realized not only who my true friends were but the love we all share for one another no matter the distance or time. 





Spending time with my family was major my last few days at home. Throughout the week I was able to see my younger sister play and even had the opportunity to play with her at practice. I'm so proud of the young woman she is becoming and can't wait to see who SHE becomes. I'm glad everyone has figured out that we are completely different individuals and athletes, she's broken the label of "Kayla's little sister". The brief time spent with my family has allowed me to appreciate each and every moment we have together. I learn more and more about them every day and I feel blessed to have my girls in my life. 

Currently I'm headed back to my new hometown of Kangasala. Mixed emotions ran through me yesterday a I had to briefly say goodbye to someone who's had such a large impact in my life in such a short time. He's taught me that it doesn't hurt to care and not be scared to live in the moment. I question if this was the right decision for me but then I think about all the support I have and the talent God has blessed me with. To sit behind a desk and be left to wonder what I could have been would have created the biggest feelings of resentment and regret, that's how I know I made the right choice. I feel alone and scared but even more so excited of what's to come. Feelings of being homesick are sure to happen and I know I will want to just throw in the towel some days but it's the thoughts of everyone back home cheering me on that will keep me motivated.

Someone was told me that, "In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were scared to have and    the decisions we waited too long to make."  To not cast myself into a foreign world at 23 would have been a chance I would have regretted, which wouldn't put strain on my relationships to force me to become more emotionally involved and an opportunity that would have passed me by. Everyone is scared of the unknown, but the unknown can only stay that way if you don't get out and explore.

....Here goes nothing....




No comments:

Post a Comment