Sunday, July 21, 2013

Helsinki In A Day

Last night was my last night in Kangasala and this morning I headed out to Helsinki, the capital of Finland, to do some sightseeing before I go back to the States Saturday afternoon. The club president's wife picked me up this morning to take me to Tampere so that I could catch a train to Helsinki. I've never really ridden a train, the ghost rides during camp don't count in my book, so I was excited to see what was in store. Mrs. Malm, Hali, purchased my ticket and waited on the platform for me to board and leave the station. It was really their family and the hospitality they showed that helped push my decision over the edge. I now have a second family in Kangasala. The train ride was beautiful. Tons of open land and farms throughout the hour and a half ride. Once I arrived at the station in Helsinki Mr. Malm's brother-in-law greeted me. He was an older man, around 60 perhaps, glasses, wirey hair and great calves. I knew I was in for a long day. As soon as we met the tour started. He rattled off information about the train station and the areas we passed as we walked to the hotel to drop off my luggage before the bike tour started. Yeah, that's right...BIKE tour. Mind you I haven't rode a bike that wasn't stationary or for calories in about five years. Thankfully the phrase "it's like riding a bike" is actually true and I adjusted fine. He was very hard to follow. Zioping and dodging through people, traffic, trolley lines, cobble stones, wind and rain. To sit here and type of my ENTIRE adventure would be too much. In fewer words I can summarize my day by this: We started the tour at 8:30 am. After seeing everything from the 1954 Olympic Center and a church built in rock to the 2013 Tall Boat Race recruitment ships in the opposite harbor and eating the BEST fresh strawberries in my ENTIRE life (Seriously. Amazing.), we ended at 5:30 PM. To say I was exhausted by the end was an understatement but I made sure to get in some personal time to shop and have a celebratory dinner.

Below is a rough outline of the area covered today to the best of my memory.

Helsinki is a beautiful city, despite what Anthony Bourdain may have reported. In the summer it's full of lights and energy. People are faithfully outside under space heaters at bars, enjoying each others company and the numbered days of sunlight. The relationships I have made throughout the week and even today I will never forget and I'm thankful now more than ever for my trust in God to present the right opportunities to me at the right time.


I will officially be reporting the Kangasala on August 15. Although there will be no foreign entries until that time I will be documenting some upcoming events abroad during my final weeks. Got some fun stuff in store so stay tuned!

Thanks for reading. 😘

-------------------
Below are some photos of the sights I visited throughout Helsinki. Enjoy!


1954 Olympic Stadium

Parliament

Shopping area. Included four-story mall on the right/underground bus depot.

*Fun fact: Finland was initially owned by Sweden. 600 years later Russia took over Finland. This would explain why many of the buildings have a Russian influence in the architectural design. Much of Finland includes underground access that was used to hide many of the trucks that would come into the city.

"Main road" in Helsinki

Finnish National Theater

Me in Senate Square!


One of the gorgeous views of all of Helsinki from The Torni hotel rooftop bar.

Bathroom view inside the Torni bar. Pretty sick view.

Russian ship currently in port with other ships across Europe looking to recruit youngsters for their sailing enrichment expeditions.


Uspenskin katedraali (Uspenskin Cathedral). Absolutely BEAUTIFUL inside. Originally built by Russians in 1868, renovated 100 years later. If you're wondering what's in my hand it's a strawberry my guide bought for me at the market. THE BEST I've ever had!

View of the street before Market Square. Major shopping area with various high-end designers.

Cool bubbles!



My favorite night photo of the Helsinki Railway Station. It's around 9...9:30 Im this photo.

Some of my other favorites will be posted on Instagram: thekayla_jeter. 




No comments:

Post a Comment