Monday, July 15, 2013

First Trip Across The Pond

Currently, I am unsigned to a European professional team. For those who know, you were informed a few months ago that I would beginning my professional career in Poitiers, France, a country I've dreamed of inhabiting since I began studying the language and culture back in high school but due to complications, the team was forced to pursue a European hitter. Obviously I wasn't too pleased with this last minute information, I was actually quite distraught but I have always believed that God has a plan for me and it seems as though Poitiers wasn't part of it at that time. For a few months the search continued, I was approached by various teams, one of them being a top level team in Finland. At first mention, Finland didn't exactly seem like paradise in my mind. All I could conclude about the country was that it was very cold given its geographical location. As the months continued I was invited to do a trial for a team in Kangasala, Finland...a small town two hours north of Helsinki and about 20 minutes from a major city called Tampere. At first I was hesitant but after regarding a few close friends I concluded, "why not?". After all, I'd never been to Europe so I was really unsure what to expect and to turn down a unknown city, despite my preference in climate, would be foolish. Falling in love with the unknown has seemed to work for me in the past, that's how I ended up at the University of Tennessee: a whim and a good feeling. Once I agreed to the trial I did some "extensive research" consisting of a little Googling and an Anthony Bourdain special on Helsinki, of which concluded three things: (1) During the winter months it's dark...all the time, (2) Finnish people eat a lot of meat, and (3) Finns like to drink. As a Cleveland native I've grown accustomed to gray winter skies and knee deep snow but that was a lifestyle I lived five years ago. Titling myself as a self-proclaimed southern girl had become my new identity filled with warm summers and breathtaking sunsets. Needless to say it would be a change heading back to blistering cold winters. So this is where my journey begins, Kangasala, Finland. To say this is where I will end up cannot be determined currently but I will be doing my best to be a sponge to the culture and people and evaluate my experience once the week is over.


Day 1: Travel
Days leading up to my first international travel I was filled with questions and the unknown. My mom, kept asking if "I was sure I wanted to head over?", hoping I'd give up my international dreams not because she wanted me to stunt my professional and personal growth but because she watches the news way too much and thought I was going to end up like the girl from Taken. I reassured her that I'm a 5'11", 180 lb mixed girl, I doubt I'm the first target. In preparation I consulted my older sister, Ms. Carmen San Diego herself along with one of my good friends for travel tips. Once I was packed and ready to go, I headed to the airport for my trip to God's land. My first connection to Atlanta was pretty routine, an up and down flight. Navigating Atlanta's airport was like looking at the back of my hand due to all of the connections my team had made at the airport throughout my collegiate career; however, I had never been to the international terminal. A few train stops and long hallways later I entered what seemed to be a completely different airport. The terminal was bright with tall ceilings and a two-level design with various shops and delectable eateries. Seeing how it was my first time in the area I didn't take time to explore, my mom had always stressed how important it was to make it to your gate and not move, so I had done as I was taught. 40 minutes later boarding began and 50 minutes later I was already looking for a way to make my trip easier. Once on the plane I had flashbacks to a trip I had taken to Jamaica with my family when I was 7, minus a disgruntled 65 year-old woman causing complications due to political issues in the country at the time. Seating had two at the windows and four across, TV's were in the back of the chair in front of you and I began to PRAY I wasn't in the middle. 24 rows down, seat B I had come to me seat, also known as the middle middle. Immediately I began searching for my seat change. I thought I almost had it until about 15 high school aged soccer boys boarded last minute then all hope was gone. I accepted my positional fate and decided to suck it up. 

Day 2: Travel/ Introduction 
Eight hours later at 1 PM, my flight landed in Amsterdam. Sleeping only a total of around two and a half to three hours after being up late the night before caused some irritability to say the least. As I mentioned previously, I had never flown internationally thus I had never been to a foreign airport, which I was a little nervous about but it turned out to be very easy to navigate. My connecting flight was only about two hours, 80% of which I spent sleeping. Once I arrived in Helsinki around 17:25 (that's 5:25 for you non-military time people) I actually ran into some SEC fans from Atlanta who had seen the Lady Volunteer logo on my backpack. They informed me that they had been living in Finland for about 18 months now due to work and loved the country. If an original Texan turned Atlanta native enjoyed Finland then why shouldn't I? After gathering my bags I stepped into the waiting area for my coach, I saw no signed but a tall blonde haired man wearing green stripped wake-boarding shorts and a Lebron shirt stepped forward. At that moment I already knew who he was and I was pleased with what I saw. Tuomas was 32 years-old man who had been an assistant coach previously for the team that always wins the league and was now a head coach going into his third year, his first with the LP Kangasala team. During our two hour trip up to Kangasala we discussed various topics. I enjoyed how open and talkative he was, certainly made the trip less awkward. Once arriving in Kangasala I was taken to an old house turned hotel, which I was very skeptical about. The house keeper/ most well-versed historian greeted us, along side the volleyball club president and his wife. Honestly, my initial emotions were sadness. At that moment I realized I would be away from my family and friends for eight months once I decided where I was to play and after the man of the house had told me there was no Internet I almost lost it. Despite my emotions I chose to swallow them and keep it moving. The house guide showed me the various rooms, starting with the dining room and explaining the pride of the Eagle on the Kangasala flag and informing me if the various famous writers, artists, and soldiers that had stayed at the house.  My room was essentially a room in a regular house with all the amenities minus a TV, the communal W.C. (bathroom) was next door. After a brief house tour the club president and his wife took me to a local grocery shop, we walked there and discussed the city and its history. At the store I gathered what I would need for a week, basic foods and encouraged the presidents wife, Hali, to push Finnish foods on me. She spoke English well. Once getting all the goods I needed I was taken back to the house and dropped off for the night around 8:30 or 9. Back in my room I looked around lost and just thought I would give the search for wifi a try. Low and behold wifi was available and my spirits quickly lifted! I was able to inform my family and friends back home of my arrival and they in return began a round of 21 questions. I explained to them the quaintness and nature heavy, small town I would be calling home for the next week. It's funny how simple communication with loved ones can immediately change your whole attitude. One fact I found interesting about Finland was how the sun DOES NOT go down. At 11:00 PM it looked like 8:00, luckily my exhaustion from traveling had gotten the best of me so I was able to sleep easily. I was to be picked up for breakfast at 9 and start my exploration of the city, so after a few FaceTime calls and texts it was bed time.

Day 3: Kangasala
This morning came quickly and I felt as thought I had been punched in the face. As I do every morning I checked my phone to see if any messages were left, surprisingly my mom had already sent me her daily good morning text and responded once I wished her the same. It was 1 AM in the States so I was surprised she was awake but she said her motherly instinct kicked in to wish me a good day. After speaking with her and one of the most amazing people in my life I got ready to be picked up for breakfast. Hali scooped me with her two daughters, both of which embodied many of the Finns I had already seen: blonde and beautiful. I was able to enjoy a traditional Finnish breakfast, of which isn't much different than American breakfast. During this time Hali continued to educate me about the pride Finnish people, especially Kangasala. I also learned that there are only 5 million Finns, which would explain why many of them know English. After breakfast I to explored the town. It is a small city, about the size of Chagrin Falls, Ohio and very similar in the sense of little and main shops. Very cute. Walking and biking seem to be the preferred modes of transportation into town but there are plenty of cars as well. That has been my morning so far, I am currently writing from the back of the house that has a beautiful view of one of the hundreds of lakes in Finland. The tranquility of the area is refreshing and the people have all been extremely kind. I'm anxious to meet the team and play some volleyball today, but so far it's been nothing but positive experiences! 

Until later...

No comments:

Post a Comment