Saturday, August 9, 2014

Dear Volleyball... [a letter to the sport that made me who I am today]

Today marks the first official practice day of the 2014 preseason training and it's odd being on the other side. I'm use to waking up and having to move into the dorms for a week, taking time to mental prepare for what is about to come and being surrounded by my teammates 24/7 for two weeks and eventually four months. I never knew how much planning went into the whole event; let's just say I was humbled this past week in our training camp preparation. Honestly, it's odd not being a player anymore, not being a student-athlete or a professional. It's a title that although I did not define myself by I loved, it just felt right. A title I felt like I earned and totally embodied but all good things come to an end and I had made the decision to turn to the next chapter in my life. As a new season starts today signifying a new chapter in my life, I thought I would write a few last words to my player journey. This is not my farewell to volleyball as a whole but more of a thank-you for all it's given me. With the my new season brings new challenges and less time for me to keep all of you up-to-date with me. If you would like to continue snooping in on my life, feel free to follow me on Twitter -- @CoachK_JeterUC -- and Instagram -- k_jete. You'll get to see what it's like from the other side!









"12 years I've dedicated my life to this sport. I've seen myself grow from the "athletic kid" to a skilled volleyball player. From a self-conscious girl to a proud, strong, young woman. Volleyball raised me through my youth, giving me everlasting friendships, life lessons, memorable experiences and the opportunity to travel across the world. I owe who I am today not only to those who believed in me and supported my journey but to those who doubted me and tried to bring me down along the way. You have been a driving force throughout my life, a voice I proudly challenge and use a source of motivation in pursuit of life. It has been a great 12 years volleyball, years I wouldn't change for anything. Weekends I wouldn't want to spend anywhere but surrounded by whistles, yelling, nets, volleyballs and the determination to be great. Thanks for the good times. See you on the court under the lights from the other side. Until we meet again..."















Live your passion :: Love on purpose


Aside from coming back from my ACL injury and being an All-American, having the opportunity to compete in my nation's colors and wear these three letters on the front of my chest while representing the USA A2 National Team at the 2010 Adult National Championship will always be the greatest moment of my career. All the early mornings and exhaustion well beyond worth it for this moment of recognition amongst the nation's best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment