Thursday, December 5, 2013

NOVEMBER/DECEMBER: Game Review

So I FINALLY decided to update my blog. I apologize to those who keep up with my life overseas frequently. The end of our first half of season was very busy and frankly, I wasn't feelin it.

Starting November 4 we had what felt like non-stop games matches. 4 games in 6 days including two back-to-back, the Suomen Cup, our first round of EuroCup play. In those four games we went 3-1, losing to OrPoa at their gym. The semi-final matches for the Suomen Cup were also part of that group. In the first round we rolled WoVo, playing very much in rhythm. When we play in sync at a consistent high-level it's very exciting for me, it shows me that we have so much potential still to tap into. In the semi-finals match we played a tired OrPo, the same team we played earlier in the week and lost to. This match was VERY emotional due to our rivalry, my club being Suomen Cup defending champs, and truly SHITTY refs making some obscene calls. Their attempt to try and control the intensity of the game only made it more heated. I attempted to control my American style of play but he struck too many nerves and a lot of not so nice words were said during the match, but after a tough fight and 60 swings, we got the W and that's all that matters. Oddly, however, the final match won't be until the second weekend of January against none other than LP Viesti. Ready to finally show this team what we're capable of doing.

The rest of November wasn't very good. I'm not sure if we got complacent after our big win or if we peaked too early physically and everyone was running on fumes. We went on to lose our next 4 matches, two in league and two EuroCup matches versus Vasaa from Budapest, Hungary. Being able to play in a EuroCup match alone was an awesome experience. I've never played I'm a gym SO loud that I was unable to hear my teammate next to me. Horns, drums, chants, and an extremely echoing gym made for an awesome, yet terrible, playing atmosphere. Going into our first match we didn't know much the opponent at all. A good friend of mine from FSU played for the team, it was so nice to see a familiar face. Besides her tendencies the rest was unknown but quickly discovered. Like most EuroCup teams, they're outside dependent and are able to sustain a high-level of play for a long time -- our weakness. We ended up getting swept in 3 and myself not playing how I wanted, I played outside of myself and tried to do too much. The following week we played our second match -- you have to win both to advance to the next round -- this time we showed a better face but Vasaa's experience at a higher level gave them an advantage. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, our league has a very fast turnaround time for matches, after the EuroCup match on a Wednesday we concluded November with probably one of the worst games we've played versus Pieskamäki. The game just sucked. Everyone was in a crappy mood before we left for the match, we all played lethargic, we all tried to do too much to make up for areas we were normally successful, it was just bad. After the match we had a "come to Jesus" talk, hoping to acknowledge our poor performance and understand it's not acceptable, duh, but more importantly to get everyone back on the same page and focused on our next match.

December was a better month for our team, only four matches stood between us and a much needed Christmas break. First up: Phitipudas aka the team that two girls from my conference play for meaning I wasn't looking to take an L. The game was fantastic! It looked as though our talk had reenergized all of us, all the gears were turning smoothly. Second on the chopping block: Pieskamäki who we had lost to a week prior. Revenge seems to work as our motivator as we were able to beat them properly this time. Our only lost during this month was against OrPo, again. With the exception of the semi-finals match we just can't seem to get it together when we play them. Their team is very dynamic, led by two versatile foreigners but they're beatable. Lastly, our match against HPK was a great way to end the first half of season. The match wasn't as emotional as I anticipated, both the crowd and players were oddly melancholy but our team was able to create some energy throughout the 5-set match. I played average, teams game planning better against me, four months of play starting to have an affect. Other teammates stepped up, Hanna especially balled out. She's a smaller outside but plays with a beach mentality, which makes her a pain to play against. So many tools in her toolbox. The win was definitely needed and appreciated before holiday break.

At this point in the season my playing seemed to have level off. Although not acceptable, I'm attributing my average performance to my physical status: exhausted. I've never played this much in a season, this far into December, with such a pivitol role on a team. Sure I had my fair share of sets in college but I was always the accessory to the main event. It's a foreign expectation but I gladly welcome it, a great opportunity to work on my mental game and exercise those extra 30-hours I spent getting my Master's in Sport Psychology. Thankfully, our GM informed the team that we will have another "American" joining the team after Christmas!! The amount of thankfulness and relief I felt was overwhelming lol. Her name is Rosie, she's from Venezuela, played at Arkansas for two years?, and was also the youngest player at the 2008 Olympics. Obviously she's a boss and I can't want to officially meet her as a teammate and not an opponent. 

So that wraps up my first half of season as a professional volleyball player! At this point I am still loving Finland and this opportunity. I am really looking toward to grinding these last three months: two months of season and March beings playoffs. 

Time for me to enjoy some time off. Peace out 2013!!

No comments:

Post a Comment