Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Two-a-day Practices

Hello! I thought blogging every  practice every day would get redundant, and I was tired, so I decided to put all of my practices together in one entry. Enjoy!

TUESDAY [6/16]
Today was my first two-a-day. I can't say I was nervous but I hadn't had one since August and being in a foreign country with a foreign team of course left everything as unknown. Fortunately the other American made it to Kangasala last night so we would be able to be lost together. 

Morning practice was fairly slow, similar to what I experienced in the U.S.. Drills emphasized ball control and the middles took reps. It was a frustrating practice; getting use to the international ball took a few reps to work through. As always though I tried to remain positive. After practice we lifted in the attached gym. The workout was like NOTHING I had experienced at my university. Everyone went through the same lifts mostly at the same time with the same weight and low reps. Our lift included squats, cleans (which I haven't done since high school), behind pull downs, low row, abs and these CRAZY hanging abs! Basically you hang from a hanging bar, it looks like a ladder in the wall in most gyms, and attempt to kick your feet ABOVE your head. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm 5'11 180 lbs, meaning this wasn't the easiest task for me to perform especially 10 times with four rounds but I survived! After practice Anna, the American, and I headed to the designated lunch  restaurant. I've yet to eat anything I didn't like. Our post practice ritual has also included getting in the lake behind our "hotel" and an afternoon nap. Since there are no ice bag or cold tubs it's the best we can do and has been quite refreshing. 


Afternoon practice was more competitive. We started practice with the usual warmup then got into cooperative ball control + hitting drills. They do a sort of box drill incorporating all skills that I really like. Since this practice was more competitive and included hitting I was able to work with the setters to find a happy medium set. All three of the setters set very differently and although right now it's everywhere I was able to figure each of them out. The girls have been nothing but helpful during my time here so far. They're young and enjoy practice so it allows me to loosen up a little and get to know each of them. The post-practice workout was pretty simple, couple rounds of stairs and abs again. I've come to enjoy the post-practice workout, especially since practice has only been about 90 minutes so far. After practice Anna and I again headed to the lake for our leg recovery then made a picnic dinner. Tonight we had the opportunity to experience a very coveted feature of Finalnd, saunas. Apparently saunas are the bees knees in this country, which would make sense due to their harsh winters. The sauna at our hotel was in a separate location across the driveway. Inside was a beautiful stone room with strategically hand placed wooden seating and a wood-burning furnace with stones on top for self-applied steam. It was probably the coolest thing I've done in a long time and it KILLS a regular suana. Being able to add your own water and create a personalized sauna experience is something I'll never forget. Today was a very good day, feeling acclimated and evening learning a few words! Looking forward to tomorrow. 

Hyvaä yotaä
(Goodnight) 

WEDNESDAY [6/17]

Morning practice: This morning was another individual day. I got to work with just the outsides, one who was on the Finland national team; it was good to see their technique. It was basically individual passing from both sides, 10 balls, three times through from straight ahead and cross-court. I've made a few new adjustments that coach pointed out that have made platform more consistent, I can't wait to really perfect it in the gym back home. The workout after this practice was pretty simple, some quad and balance work. We did basic and hanging abs...AGAIN. I made a joke at the beginning of practice that I wanted to do more, I don't think he could sense my sarcasm. Language barrier fail. I did better this time around but I was still sore from the day before so it wasn't THAT great. The other smaller girls on the team are pros at it so I use them as inspiration. 

Lunch was fabulous today. The soup was a combination of carrots, potatoes. onions, capers, and salmon in a light cream sauce. Delicious! Entree items were cheesy potatoes, something that was similar to orange chicken, and a mixed salad. It was all amazing. After lunch we stopped at a local bakery, Kahvilaakonoditoria Paakari, that is well known in Kangalsala. All of the pasteries looked delectable, it was hard to decide but I ended up chosing a cinnamon apple filled one. Once again, very good.
Lunch today.

Konditoria (bakery) view looking out.


Afternoon practice: Second practice today was ran by our assistant coach. He's a tall, scruffy looking man who always has a stern look...and doesn't speak any English. I'm sure you could imagine my excitement. This was the first time during my whole time in Finland I had to interact with someone who didn't speak English and he just happened to be my coach. Needless to say the beginning of practice was a cluster fugg but on the upside, if he was saying anything bad I didn't know! He ran a fast tempo practice, many competitive wash drills. We certainly got tons of touches. This practice was also defense orientated, not necessarily my strongest skill but I tried my hardest anyway. At the end of practice we ran competitive drills, all of which I did well in the end until my legs got tired. It was a good experience for me to have to deal with the mental strain and physical demands of practice, it allowed me to practice various recovery and focus skills I had spent a year and half studying for my masters program. There was no workout after practice today since we went over the 90 minute mark. Tonight called for simply sleep and preparation for our workouts in the woods tomorrow. Yeah, the woods -_-. Only in Finland!!

THURSDAY [6/18]:

Morning workout: This morning we didn't do any ball work, just a workout in the woods. Initially I was terrified. To me a workout in the woods meant running for miles but it turned out to not be that bad, a good bonding experience with the girls. Our workout had flat sprints, uphill sprints, uphill lunges, agility work, and stairs. As commented previously, these workouts wouldn't even pass as a warmup in America but I wasn't complaining! The best part about the workout were the girls and their rest period. There was no running clock so after each sprint the girls would stop and pick blueberries to eat. They had me try a few along with something similar to clover. I told myself I would try anything before I came on this trip and they were MORE than willing to make me the U.S. ginuea pig.

After lunch Anna and I went out and explored the neighboring larger city of Tampere. It was amazing. Traveling to varying cities is very easy in Kangasala via bus. The shopping was great and the people continued to be very helpful. I was glad to see the different architural designs and some American stores, they even had a McDonalds! I'm not really sure what it is about getting to experience new cities but it's a feeling I love to get! Eventually it started to rain and get cold so after about an hour and a half later we headed back to Kangasala to rest before practice. 

Tonight was the last practice of the week. The girls go on holiday for a week tomorrow so tonight was my last moment to shine. Going into practice I felt good about my current performance. Of course there were things I wish I could have done better but overall I felt good. Outside of warmup drills all we did during practice was wash drills and a few games to 15. I came out like a boss. Played really aggressive and made sure to communicate with the girls. I couldn't have been more proud on how I ended my week trial. Practice lasted for about two hours and then Coach Tuomas called my name. In a meeting with his assistant and himself he let me know what they both thought about my performance. They liked how I took big swings but would wait for the right moment, how I had a great work ethic and wanted to learn every day, and lastly how I interacted with the girls. Hearing all of those positive comments made me feel like I had given my all and at the end of our conversation he offered me a contract with the LP Kangasala a volleyball team for this upcoming season!!! I was overjoyed and couldn't wait to speak with Nick about what transpired and what was to happen next.

At then end of a week of the unknown, the new and the straight up foreign, I have made a decision...

No comments:

Post a Comment